Monday, November 10, 2008


Sunday 2 Oct. 2008
The couple on the left is Brother and Sister Ichihashi. She's the one I taught the gospel to 38 years ago. The man in the middle is Brother Nakamura who was the Branch President during that time. He arranged the marriages of forty couples in the church. When he was the branch president, he had a counselor who wasn't married and he counseled him to fast and pray about which sister in the branch he'd like to marry. He never could decide who he wanted to marry because he had so much fun dating.
One Sunday during ward announcements he announced the marriage of his counselor and a sister in the audience. There was a gasp, but he finished and sat down at the other end of the bench. During the meeting the counselor kept eyeing him with fire in his eyes. Promptly at the end of Sacrament meeting Nakamura Kyodai went straight to the branch president's office. Brother Ikeda was right on his heels, went in and shut the door, and wanted to know what in the world he thought he was doing. Nakamura Kyodai said, "As the branch president of this branch I'm the father and watch over all. There are many unmarried sisters who want to get married and YOU need to get married. I fasted and prayed about this decision and if you don't like it you can go to hell!" Well, that took the brother back!
He really did like the girl the branch president had chosen and was just shy in making a decision. The couple also fasted and prayed about it and realized they were in love and got married. They're still happily married!
We love Michiko and Hirohiko Ichihashi for setting this wonderful evening up to enjoy yesteryear again.

4 comments:

Carters said...

Wow, that's the craziest, but coolest story. Jarad said that's way different than what we would do. I'm not so sure though. I think a lot of good would come of it if some more Single's ward Bishops were as bold!

Christi said...

This is a fun story....and it is true! Thank you for sharing.

Blue Eyed Girl said...

An amazing story! I have loved reading about all of your experiences while on your mission! Thanks for sharing!
My family and I are praying for you!

Sonja said...

It is so fun finding your blog and reading about your mission! We love you and are glad you are having such great experiences on the other side of the world! I am jealous but I guess I really do have to wait until my kids are grown before I can sign up! :)